Liberton Medical



Home . About Us. Patient Info. Repeat Prescriptions. How to Register.


Fees for non NHS Services and Medical Reports


As with any other professional, your GP is entitled to charge a fee for any work that does not fall under the umbrella of the NHS. This includes private health care insurance forms, private sick notes, holiday cancellation forms and many others. Please click here for our most up to date list of fees for these services.


Travel Advice


Our Practice Nurses can administer the vaccinations you may require for a foreign holiday. A travel vaccination form must be completed before a booking can be made, form available here . Please be advised that you must attend at least SIX WEEKS prior to travel. If you are travelling sooner than this you cannot be seen at the Surgery and will be required to go to a Travel Clinic instead.


Travel Clinics can be found at Superdrug, 63 Princes Street, Edinburgh 08450 260 830, the Western General Hospital, Crewe Road South, Edinburgh 0131 537 2822, Edinburgh Travel Health Clinic, 14 East Preston Street, Edinburgh 0131 667 1030.


At present there is a global shortage of Hepatitis A and Hepatitis B and they may not be available. If you have had a first Hepatitis A vaccination you do not require another for 5 years. Yellow fever and some other vaccines are not available at the surgery, these are provided from licensed sites only. The NHS does not cover the cost of any anti- malarial medication and this is not available on a NHS prescription. You may get a private prescription from the Surgery but there is a charge applied for doing so.


You may find the following website helpful when booking foreign holidays please click here


Visitors and Foreign Nationals


If you have friends or relatives staying with you who need to see a doctor then we will try to accommodate them in the surgery. However there may be some occasions where we are unable to oblige and suggest that you contact a different surgery in the area for assistance. Friends and relatives must be staying with a patient registered at this practice.


UK citizens are entitled to NHS care within the UK, you can be seen anywhere as a Temporary Resident.


Free NHS care does not always apply to all foreign nationals and overseas students, their entitlement depends on where they are studying, where they are from and whether they are studying full or part time. Should you have any queries please contact Reception.


People who are from the EU must have a valid EHIC card (European Health Insurance Card).


If you are not entitled to free health care, you can be seen as a Private Patient, the charge for this is £60. Prescription fees or any tests you may need would be charged in addition to this.